10 Reasons to Keep Your Home Clean and Tidy
Cleaning is no fun – we get it. There are a hundred other things you’d rather do (and need to do). But a messy house is bad news. For starters, a messy home increases your stress level. When you are surrounded by clutter, it can distract you from what you should be focusing on. It can also keep you from finding the things you need quickly (ever lose your keys?), and it can make you feel guilty and overwhelmed.
If you have kids, the challenge is multiplied. Sometimes it can seem impossible to keep your home neat and organised when there are other people making messes, but it can be done. Teaching your kids to keep their belongings organised and help with the household chores may sometimes seem like a one step forward, two steps back proposition, but it’s well worth it.
Putting systems in place to keep your house neat and organised can make a world of difference in your stress level and your quality of life.
Benefits of Having a Clean House
- Your house will always be clean! Okay, this sounds obvious. But just think about it. You’ll wake up in the morning or come home from work to a peaceful, clean, organised space – doesn’t that sound nice?
- Your life really will be less stressful. When you spend a little time each day maintain your clean home, you never have to spend hours getting it from hopelessly messy back to clean. You’ll be able to find what you need, and you’ll be able to do things like cook, get ready for work, and relax without the stress of clutter in your way.
- Your home will be more aesthetically pleasing. Keeping your home clean means it will always look its best. Remember that feeling you had when you first fell in love with your home and knew you wanted to buy (or rent) it? Keep that feeling by keeping your space neat. Plus, you won’t have to panic when unexpected guests show up at your door.
- You will spend less time cleaning. Keeping your home clean is much easier than cleaning it when it’s dirty. A few minutes here and there can save your hours every weekend. Don’t wait – go ahead and wash those dishes, run the vacuum cleaner, or give the toilet a quick swishing with the brush. This is time you won’t spend cleaning later.
- You’ll prevent pest infestations. Besides enjoying the comforts of a clean home, you also won’t invite pests. Clean up messes as soon as they happen, don’t leave dishes or full trash cans around, and don’t let clutter pile up, and you won’t be nearly as likely to have a pest problem on your hands.
- You’ll extend the life of your home’s materials. Some materials will last longer if you keep them clean. For instance, cleaning you carpets regularly keeps them looking and smelling newer and cleaner longer.
- Your home will be safer for children. Actually, it will be safer for everyone. No clutter means fewer tripping hazards; there also won’t be harmful substances sitting around that a small child could get into.
- You’ll be able to find what you need, when you need it. One of the most useful tricks for keeping your home clean is to designate a place for everything. This makes clean-up a breeze and also means you’ll always know exactly where to look for whatever you need.
- You’ll be promoting good health and hygiene. Keeping your living space clean and organised ensures it is safe and non-hazardous.
- You’ll keep dust and other allergens out of your home. Regular cleaning keeps your home free of dust and makes it a much better environment overall for your family, particularly anyone with allergies.
Make Cleaning Easier (& Quicker!)
Maintaining cleanliness makes your home a calming, safe, enjoyable place to be. There are several ways to make regular cleaning easier. Try:
- Keeping a set of cleaning supplies in every bathroom to make quick touch-ups super easy
- Keeping a vacuum cleaner upstairs and one downstairs so you don’t have to lug it up and down
- Lining the bottom of your oven with foil – when the foil gets dirty, simply throw it out and replace it
- Before you toss old toothbrushes, use them to scrub sink drains
- Making doing the dishes right after dinner a regular part of the routine; take turns with other family members, or make a rule that whoever doesn’t help cook dinner loads the dishwasher
- Making your bed the moment you get out of it
Every once in a while your home will need a deeper cleaning. Don’t wait for spring to “spring clean” – do it when you have time and are motivated to, regardless of the time of year. Set aside a weekend or two, enlist the help of your family, and get it done. Then, continue your small daily cleaning habits to keep enjoying your clean, neat, organised house for the rest of the year.